Monday, March 16, 2009

My First Bike Race

I mean I’ve done triathlons and dualthlons before and I can tell you right now that I had no idea what I was doing, and that if I placed well in those events, it was only because I was a strong runner back then. hahaha

After riding group rides practicing drills with EV and the dEVas great training sessions we became a strong formation. Then we took the fabulous Learn to Race Clinic with Instructors Lisa Howard and Claire Cameron along with other members of Escape Velocity's and Cycling BC. Then we were set to...

Race Day | Escape Velocity Spring Series | #1
River Road – Langley, BC

We get there early and take the time to get a warm up ride together. A bit cloudy but no rain yet, then we go riding around the course. I think we did two laps (dEVas correct me if I’m wrong). Then we get to the starting line and then we go...


We the dEVas stayed together, well we were separated a few times but reunited at sprint corners most of the times and we stuck on each others wheels. On the second lap I got boxed in the right side and almost crashed into the ditch, I think Johanna saw it too... That was scary… It took me a while to get back in the left line and to the front behind Liisa but I did it. That was the trill of the day for me. Then the rain started... but I mean rain, pissing down, I was literally spiting the wheels water from the person in front of me of my mouth making a stupid noise, then at mid-course the snow started; big flakes... My hands and feet were frozen, I recall blowing on my fingers several times...

Jen was in the front behind the testosterone guys and drafting away while Liisa right behind also favoring the draft. I was right behind Liisa’s wheel for a couple laps then dropped behind that guy in the orange jacket. On the 500 mark no one was really sprinting, so I got out of my seat and gave I real hard, but I was not really going any faster... I wonder why? Really, I wonder why? Should I’ve shift gear? Was my position on the bike wrong? Did I have any juice left in my legs? I don’t know... It was really a blur to me that sprint. I will find out though and I will let you know when I do...

My daughter Bianca was filming the event; thanks sweety pie. Here is the video. Enjoy!

No comments: