Sunday, March 22, 2009

EV Spring Series 2009 #2 | dEVas Race Report



Watch the video

Well, it looked like the only dEVas racing today was me and Eva on Spring Series #2. Eva being in the C group and me, in the Novice category; meaning; we were both on our own in the pack. I was really missing the dEVa girls today; big time. We get there super early, then we did a couple of laps around the course (2) in reverse to warm-up I realized that the bike computer was stuck and wasn’t giving data. I tried to move the sensors around with no luck. I took a few photos and filmed the starts and kept on going around the course in reverse to keep warming-up and to because my start was not until 12 anyway.

It was a super beautiful sunny day but with huge headwinds and I kept on going around the course. Now after 4 laps around I get to the finishing line side and Jeff asked me run an errand, so I ride on the other side to talk to Adam, (1 more lap), then Adam asked me to bring him a radio (Jeff has then on the other side) So I go around daring the wind alone again get the radio for Adam. (1 more lap) By the time I get to Jeff it’s 11:45pm, my start is soon. So I ride like crazy to the other side to give the radio to Adam then ride to the other side, just in time for my start. (1 more lap – Lisa, I used one match right there, before the race) Do you think 6 laps before a 4 laps race is smart? How stupid was that?

Then I get to the start of the Novice group, then I catch-up my breath, give the camera to Danika, and we are set and go. I started in the front pack behind these guys, I think I was in 4/5 position drafting away. I felt great and strong. I managed to stay for the first lap, then on the second lap when we get to the hill climb, I shifted gear and it didn’t kick in, I kept on pedaling knowing that at any moment the derailleur will release, then it jammed… To avoid the chain popping, I stopped pedaling for a sec and reverse the stroke to unjam it as I was going uphill. I lost all my advantage by that point and was in the back of the pack, actually 100 feet from it. So, I started chasing to regain my place in the front and to close the gap… (Lisa, I used match #2, right then) Then I started having breathing issues, like my lungs were closing out on me and I could only take short breaths, the gap was getting bigger and bigger, still facing the wind…. Then some C group riders were passing me by on the left, so I hoped on their wheels to catch-up my breath, they carried me to the finishing line on lap # 2 and then I dropped out of the race feeling dizzy and like I would faint and I couldn’t breath. A combination of the wind bringing pollen, the hay allergy and the physical effort I believe triggered all this, without mentioning the end of a bronchitis… that on top of all the cyclist mistakes in one race. Actually, not ALL the cyclist mistakes; I was well hydrated, well nourished and well rested... Thank god! lol Live and Learn, next week, I will be stronger and wiser... You betcha!


What I have learned?
1. Next time if I ever race alone again. I will do a couple laps max to study the course/winds and get on the trainer beside my car. I will not over do it…
2. Always take an allergy tablet when racing in the countryside in the spring. Does anyone know what is not a banned substance? Not like I’m planning to go pro or anything, but I believe in drug free cycling. Suggestions anyone?
3. Always race with my asthma puffers.
4. Lube the chain before a race depending on weather conditions.
5. Always make sure your bike computer is working before a race…
6. And yes, I can say “no” next time if someone asked me to run an errand before my post time.
7. Don’t do 6 laps warm-up on a 4 laps race… lol

Watch the video of the race

No comments: